Thursday, March 26, 2009

Recession Mocks me :-)


Some of you must know I got placed in TCS. I may very well have got placed in a so called dream job but for various reasons I preferred TCS and wanted to stay with TCS.

But it was not until a couple of months before that rumors about we getting called in will take nearly an year. So I decided to look for an alternative or at least a temporary job to keep me occupied.

So I registered with Naukri. I got 100s of mail recommendations and I did apply for them. Then last Monday I got a mail calling for a E-Commerce or business consultancy kind of a company. The profile sounded interesting but there is no mention about the package.

I seldom bothered the package and hence I decided to give it a try owing to the interesting job profile. The recruitment process was scheduled to happen for 3 days. I went in the afternoon of the 2nd day, wondering whether all the vacancies been filled.

There was a written test for 1 hr 15mins. Some aptitude questions and then verbal ability and then a 3 page essay writing. I completed the entire thing in 30-35mins. Feeling pride about my CAT preparation and my blogging abilities that I wrote the essay emotionally till the last line of the 3rd page provided.

My friend who sucks in English didn't make it to the interview. They also rejected many others. I was feeling proud about myself.

After a long wait I was called in for an interview. An avg looking lady may be around 26 or so, single for sure interviewed me. The interview was over before it started anyway I still boasted about my analytical and managerial skills :P

Then came the funniest part. I was explained the job timings and the compensation package. The work is for 8hrs a day for 6 days in a week. If I choose night shift it is 5 days a week with some 50INR allowance a day. The job is a temporary one as I am still a student with a compensation around 5K.

I acquiesced, thinking that may be once I finish my degree in a month or 2 get my certificates and they make me permanent with a better package. Even 10-15K a month is better than me staying idle at home.

After an hour or so came the offer letter. Another cute lady of the same age group explained the procedures to join etc. I asked her about the pay hike once I get there permanently. She coolly said there will be no changes in the package. LOL :D

I would have laughed at her but unfortunately my chivalry stopped me from snubbing at her. I grimly walked out with my offer letter wondering whether I should feel it humorous or horrific.

After all the 14yrs of schooling and 4yrs of dying in this hell I get a job that pays only 5-6K a month. I would better stay idle with an engineering degree than mocking myself and the institute from which I am about to graduate.

No comments: