Saturday, July 18, 2009

One day at the Call Centre


Recession has hit me hard. I could no more enjoy the blissful environment at home with the neighbors looking upon me as ‘Did he really complete his B.E. from CEG?’ So I made a resolution that I would no more remain unemployed. So I immediately started off to Chennai with hopes of getting a job at least some job.

I decided that I am more of a mouth person than a hand one. (Hey no double meanings) So I choose call centers than software companies. I gathered a few addresses from the Internet. I planned my schedule for the week.

I also dreamed of those call center cuties, who are supposedly easy targets. Well I started off from Saidapet to Velachery in 5A. I saw the commercial boards addressed as ‘Velachery Main Rd’ and got down at a deserted stop.

I was confused and enquired about the company.

“Well I don’t know whether there is any such company in this road like that.”

“Isn’t this velachery main road?”

“Well there is another road near Gurunanak college. You better try that.”

I got another bus on his guidance and got down after 2 stops. Again there was no clue. I enquired another guy. He looked at me as some country brute, who had just got down in Chennai Though I was dressed in neat formals with my 2000INR woodland cut shoes.

He gave clear instructions on how to reach the company and guided me into another bus. I reached the company early around nine to find out there was already half a dozen people waiting. Mostly guys. I tried not to get disappointed as there were a few good looking employees with my thoughts reeling to the movie ‘Yaradi Nee Mogini’

We were guided into a hall. Within a few minutes the hall was full with two dozens of candidates. We had a grammar test with 20 questions like ‘_______ sun rises in the east’.

I double checked my answers not fearing that I would not clear the first round, but fearing that I don’t want to embarrass myself by giving a wrong answer to any of those questions.

More than half of them didn’t make it to the next essay writing round. Now there were nearly 50 people in the next batch taking the first round. The HR person in her final attempt “We are recruiting for a domestic voice process and the salary is between 5 and 6 and there is no pick up and drop facility. You may have to work in roatational shifts.”

None seemed to be turning back. I finished my essay after all what have I learned in 4yrs of B.E. to fill the pages with stories. I was called in for the interview after a long wait. I wondered whether it’s a test for patience.

A fat elderly man, “Take your seat”

I sat down, “Thank you.” In a soft tone.

Interviewer: “Which college are you from?”

Me: “CEG”

EM: “CEG??!?!?”

Me: “Yes College of Engineering Guindy”

EM: “You mean the Guindy College?”

Me: “Yes”

EM: “The one in Chennai!!!”

Me: “yes” (Confused)

EM: “B.E. CSE from CEG!!!”

Me: “Yaaasss” (Wondering what’s so wrong!!!)

You know what happened next. He rejected me stating that I am over qualified.

5 comments:

srinath said...

this is the exp we face in most of companies.

sudan said...

I really enjoyed while reading it (cool). laughed well also.. after long time.. i was feeling much in holidays that none gives me a job. manhattan , mcafee same answer. recession. even ceg students feel heat. lucky ones joined company n i m not lucky. But in tough times we ve to wait. even my friend in thiyagaraja joined aricent.. i doesn't matter bcoz our cuic officials r worst. so relax n kill time for another one month.

JayaChithra Subramanian said...

good one :)
but recession is getting better.. so u guys still have time and u can wait.. i know a few ppl from other colleges who were called 1.5 yrs after their completion..

anyways u can keep trying atleast to write blogs like this.. btw, velachery la enna doubt naalum enna kelu :D

Kitty said...

@Chitra

Thanks that u dropped by ka.

Ya 1.5 yrs not a big deal :p

Kitty said...

@Chitra

Thanks that u dropped by ka.

Ya 1.5 yrs not a big deal :p

And i m already working in Shanketh's home India Pvt Ltd as FB commenter :p